Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Managing Change

Managing change without freaking yourself out is the challenge of our generation.

That's what Allan K. said when I told him I couldn't yet bring myself to open up the box containing my new (and first) digital camera, I first have to gather my emotional and intellectual resources to face learning another new technology.

Allan's response also fits the challenge I face on sabbatical as I try to figure out what I want to do next, and how. It can be both exciting and freaking frightening.

I felt both those emotions after talking for two and a half hours today to Gary G., a retired journalist Lucinda met in water-aerobics class, about the career of journalism.

I don't know that I want to be a journalist, but I do want to move my writing along, and that's one possible direction.
After the informational interview I was torn between running out to buy a tape recorder (whoops--that's a reference to a defunct technology--I mean an mp3 recorder, or whatever the lasest recording device is) for interviews or going home to take a nap. I will split the difference and write up my notes from interviewing Gary. [To follow.]

No comments: