Monday, February 25, 2008

Make art! Make art!



Glen Hansard's acceptance speech at the Oscars last night woke me up from the generally anaesthetic experience of watching plasticized people give robotic speeches.
He and Markéta Irglová won the Best Original Song award for their song "Falling Slowly" from their lovely independent movie Once.
Hansard said the film was made with two handi-cams at a cost of $100,000. He held up his Oscar and urged us:
"Make art! Make art!"

Irglová also made a real-human speech, saying "fair play to those who dare to dream and don't give up."
If they can do it, so can we--not just in the realm of art but also in the realm of politics.

If you missed them, here they are:
(If video isn't embedded, here's the live link: Make art!.)

2 comments:

cobaltika said...

oh i am SO GLAD you posted that!! including the video. i was walking home this evening, thinking of your nice note to me (and purchase! thank you!) and how that film and music were very special to me, a middle-agedish lady and mother and i was WISHING i could see the speech they made - and then i eat my dinner and come to investigate your blog and BOING! it is right here! what joy!

MAKE ART MAKE ART indeed!

Fresca said...

I'm so glad I made it possible for you to see this inspiring speech! Thanks for letting me know.