Monday, June 30, 2008

Wall-E

I went with L & M to see Wall-E--about a plucky robot carrying on among the ruins of Earth--and left thinking, "I want to work for Pixar." The movie immediately rose to No. 1 on My Favorite Post-Apocalypse Movies. (Sorry, Mel Gibson.) It even incorporated a few Star Trek sound effects--not to mention Hello, Dolly!
This mashup all poured fuel on my desire to create iMovies.

Then Sal came over the next day and we talked about how I don't have anything yet to wear for the Las Vegas ST con in one month. She said, "You want to feel good about yourself when you go," and I agreed.

I asked myself later, what will make me feel good about myself at the con?
Having a couple videos I'm proud of under my belt.
So, this is a preview frame from my second video:

If you recognize the quote, 10 cents off your next cup of coffee. (Kellie, you can't enter to win.)

I don't know. It boggles my brain that I am making movies, even these tiny little things (with stills, even), when it is something I have wanted to do for so long but never thought I could.
Thank you, fellow humans who made this possible.

However, I have also been feeling a wee bit insanely obsessive, and even though I applaud Werner Herzog and his like, I am not built for those speeds (with their attendant sleeplessness), so I am going to turn off this computer at this early hour of 8 p.m. and read a book.
Remember those?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew Marvell???

Fresca said...

Bingo!
Though I got it wrong--should be "as rare" not "so rare."
I'm still (July 4th) working on this project--currently trying to get it to upload on youTube. Aaargh!

Anonymous said...

Did the audience applaud at the end of Wall-E when you went to see it? I just read Frank Rich's review of the film in the Sunday Times(7-6-08), and he said even the children were on their feet clapping at the end.

(He wrote a piece called "Wall-E for President" in which he laments how adrift the two main presidential candidates are--McCain apparently recently admitted he doesn't know how to use a computer (?!?), and Obama is disappointing his constituency with talk of faith-based this-n-that and support for government phone tapping.