Friday, February 19, 2010

365 #127: The Snowball Hat

Talking with people who grew up in the 1960s, they tell me they can physically recall the feel of ice-cold aluminum tumblers in their hands--and they name their favorite color combination of tumbler & Kool-Aid too.

Another '60s design women around my age mention is the furry snowball hat, with its dangling pom-poms.
Well, last night I saw such a hat in the window of a thrift store.
Fifteen dollars. What a steal for a remembrance of times past.


(Pink lipstick courtesy of Cathy.)

Sensory memories are like time travel: When I put the hat on, I'm in fourth grade again. Except the one I had in the winter of 1969 was white.

[I started the 365 self-portraits project on my 48th birthday last year: I only have a couple weeks to nudge the number up; but I just counted and surprisingly I've averaged about one every three days.]

8 comments:

Marz said...

That is a Kirk Smirk if I ever saw one.

Fresca said...

Bless you!!!

femminismo said...

What a cutie you are! Fashionable beyond words, with a bit of the Tribble about you!

The Crow said...

Cool hat, Fresca! Looks good on you, too.

Now all you need is a mini skirt and some white knee-high patent-leather boots, a la Nancy Sinatra, Jr. and you're set.

Fresca said...

Oh, no! Now I realize: the hat must be made of skinned tribbles! Eeek!
But I'm sure they only used ones that died a natural death.

I hope this photo doesn't mislead anyone into thinking I'm in the least bit fashionable...

CROW: Did you see that it was "These Boots Are Made for Walking" that kicked-off the whole Star Trek design inquiry in the first place?
Nancy Sinatra
www.gugeo.blogspot.com/2009/04/kinky-boots-66-67.html

Anonymous said...

Yeah! And I would go to see you all suited up at Radio City Music Hall in the dancing line of the
"Kirkettes", next winter...Are you ready for the greasepaint?
Love,
S

deanna said...

Cute! I didn't have a hat like that, probably due to living in mild Washington state, but I remember seeing them on TV. You look like someone enjoying life in the cold. And watching some of the Olympics has me engaged with winter sports, even though it's very mild weather in Vancouver right now.

Your blog meme has me thinking...

Fresca said...

DEANNA: This is fake fur, of course, but yeah, it is a warm hat. Usually I just wear ear muffs or I get too hot.