Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Friend me.

If you want, please, friend me on Facebook.

I am grieving that I can't spend all morning blogging
...about my orange rotary phone, for instance.
It's a Northern Telecom Doodle phone (it has a place for a doodle pad), from the 1970s.

Knowing my interest in Star Trek-y design, PG sent it to me for my birthday but I never used it until now, when my touch-tone died. (I don't have a cell.)
It does nothing but send and receive calls, and I love it.

But I have got to clear my brain so I can write about communications for work instead, having put it off for weeks.
I don't know about other people, but when I'm writing something, I have to turn my entire thinking apparatus over to it.

If I take a break to blog, I lose the train of thought and have to start all over again.

But FB doesn't break my concentration. It's more like chatting in the hall with a coworker, on the way to the bathroom. Just a bit of light friendliness.

What I wrote today:

15 minutes ago:
"I like how FBing peppers the day with time-wasting opportunities, insead of the whale-steak amount of time blogging requires. (I miss blogging though.)"

11 minutes ago:
"Correction: When I say 'time-wasting' of course I mean healthful socialzting... They say people with lots of social connections live longer. (Not sure if talking to oneself counts.)"

6 comments:

Emma J said...

I miss you blogging too, but will wait for your return. For me Blogging is discrete. Facebook is perniciously permeative. Good luck with the writing.

Fresca said...

EMMA: Perniciously permeative---I like that!
FB is not writing, of course, and blogging is, for me.

Since I love writing, it's painful to cut it back in this wonderful format...
I even decided not to watch any more Peter Weir movies for the time being because I can't afford to spend half a day thinking/blogging about them.
Sigh.
Luckily my work writing is fascinating too, it's just not MY wandering topics.
See ya later.

Marz said...

"Friend" as a verb! I love that.
"Friend me." Oh I LOVE that!

SUPER ELITE BAGQMF phone, btw.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo said...

Of course, you should be making a film....

Jennifer said...

"I like how FBing peppers the day with time-wasting opportunities, insead of the whale-steak amount of time blogging requires. (I miss blogging though.)"

Interestingly, I think that's some of the appeal of Twitter as well--bite size units of time rather than a long stretch. It's something you can do during commercials instead of flipping the channels...or while having a morning coffee...or waiting for the bus in my case, since I have an iPhone. :) I'm terrible at the "succinct" part, however. People who can think up pithy things to say on FB or Twitter win my undying awe...

Anonymous said...

Just friended you on FB (Sonja from Germany), hope you'll accept. Never commented here before, I'm more active on LJ ... :)