Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Father Is Eighty

My father was born in 1931: Today is his 80th birthday.

My father is a retired professor of political science.
The most important lesson I learned from him was the importance of checks and balances on power (same as you need to ground electricity).
This might seem simple, but it extends like crazy.

Here are a few photos from his life, so far.
ABOVE: at far left, with sister Vi and brother Tony, in Milwaukee (1939?)
ABOVE: 1961, with my mother, who is pregnant with me
ABOVE: 1970s, with a sketch of himself, in his office
ABOVE: 2007, at Mount Vernon

On his 78th birthday, I wrote a Mosaic of Memories of him from my childhood.

8 comments:

Krista said...

I'm dumbfounded by how much you look like both of them, simultaneously. Happy birthday to your papa.

Anonymous said...

What Krista said and...I love the pic of the two generations of you three with your 'rents sharing the big chair. Outside of the date on the newspaper, the chair itself and maybe the glass/ceramic objets d'arte (hell's bells-- I don't know how to spell or pronounce French!)--the room seems timeless/from the 1800s. I wanna know what books are on those shelves behind you three. Do ya remember?
Beautiful and... feliz cumpleanos, Papa DP.--(figure that's close to what the Italian might be)

Love,
Stefalala

(Hey: veriword= geambi; looks Italian to me!)

poodletail said...

I love the 1961 portrait of you, Fresca. Joyeux anniversaire, Daniele!

Marz said...

Structurally, his face is frowning in the last pic, but he is clearly smiling. I don't know if I've seen that before. Can you do this?
Teach me to frown-smile!

femminismo said...

Your papa is one cool looking dude! Happy birthday, very late. Love all the photos. (I am mad for looking at anyone's pics, even people I don't know.)

ArtSparker said...

He's not old, he's dostinguished.

Clowncar said...

He looks like Kris Kristofferson. That's a good thing.

I'm gonna work on saying "I will be the judge of what movies my children see." in my most stentorian voice. I'd do it in a Daniele-like voice, but I don't get the reference.

Fresca said...

STEF: That was my grandparents' house (my mother's side), and I remember they had nice editions of classic books, but weren't big readers.

MARZ: I don't know if I can frown-smile. Will work on it in Spain...

CLOWN: Stentorian in authority but not in volume.