Monday, August 12, 2013

Garden Diptychs

I spent half of yesterday weeding 8-months of photos I've taken for the 2014 neighborhood association calendar––the organizer needs to start working on the layout.
The theme is community gardens, and I am one of 6 photographers who agreed to document a garden through the year. (Mine is the SOO Line, along the Greenway.)


I got intrigued by the similarity between human-made supports and the plants' own supports:


And, of course, by the different ways the garden shots document the seasons here in MN.


I'm also interested to see how my photography is coming along: I'm not a photographer, I'm a snap-shotter, but I see my style is developing:
I like big, bold close-ups that show the design of things.

I suppose I approach history in the same way---looking closely to find repeating patterns.
And so, back to the history of sanitation. These days, everything reminds me of sewers! It's all about the flow....

4 comments:

poodletail said...

Your snaps have always hit me right where it counts so I'm crazy to see these of the SOO Line/Greenway trail that I miss.

Your photos are an inspiration and so are your watercolors: I've met someone here who wants to learn some watercolor basics with me and has found a local artist who's willing to to give some pointers!

bink said...

Obviously, you ARE a photographer! You have a better eye than a lot of pros. If they use lots of your pictures, it will be a great calendar.

Bookworm said...

I agree. You are a great photographer. I really love the picture with the curly wire and the plant tendril. Your photography has the quality that the best art has - it makes you look at the world in a new way, with a fresh vision. More photos please!

Fresca said...

Thanks for your kind words, all, about my photos!

I don't call myself a photographer because I don't know what I'm doing, unlike someone who understands how the machine (the camera) interacts with light,
which is central to the art.
I wouldn't know how to set up a portrait shoot, for instance.

But, in fact, I do really like a lot of my photos! The world is so amazing, with a digital camera, you're almost bound to get something good, if you snap long enough (and if you've got a decent eye)!