Monday, June 16, 2014

Boys Playing: 2 Cartoons

A couple recent cartoon finds

1. Rutu Modan's Mixed Emotions, a comic blog (7 episodes) on the NYTimes--keep scrolling down to make the next episode load. 
In the Comics Journal, you can read an in-depth interview with Modan.

From her episode "Queen of the Scottish Fairies" about her son's love of skirts:

2. Every third and fourth year during the
women's and men's World Cup, I am a big soccer fan. I especially love the accidental choreography of bodies flying and tangling in air.

Even for ignorant me, the basics of soccer are easy to follow (the ball should go in the net;  cleats should stay off the shins of the opposing team), but I don't get the intricacies of the game, so I was happy this year to discover a soccer cartoon, You Are the Ref in the Guardian
It's is a delight to look at--the cartoonist Trevillion clearly shows complex motions in a single panel-- and a fun way for someone like me to learn about soccer. 

The readers' comments are pretty fun to read––best one wins a T-shirt––and answers are posted on Mondays.

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

Oh, good, it's not just me that likes soccer without knowing a thing about it. I'm torn about learning more, though.

Off to read that comic...

Fresca said...

One thing I love about soccer is you don't NEED to know anything about it, it's so simple!
A simple joy.