Monday, December 15, 2014

Nasty Things: Flu Season

"The kids from downstairs daycare can't visit today," I told one of the grown-ups, "because some of them have the flu."

"Oh, their poor mothers!" she replied.

It's not fair but it's true that nice things are nicer than nasty ones.* 

This woman can be hard to work with because she's always asking for her family. (The problem being, I'm struggling to balance the needs of the many with the needs of the one, and she's a "one".) 
But she's also nice and considerate to others--she pats me on the arm--and I go out of my way for her when I can; whereas with a less nice person, I tend to choose the needs of the group.

I'm going to go out of my way tomorrow to clean the Activities Room where I spend most of my time. Sanitation is not all I would want it to be at the residence, so I'm going to do it myself.

Or, actually, I hope, not by myself. Lots of the women seem to enjoy housework (or, maybe, to find it reassuringly familiar?). 
I expect some of them will be willing to don rubber gloves and help wash down all the surfaces with bleach water.
_____________________
* "Nice things" from Kingsley Amis, Lucky Jim, a book which Marz comments "is not itself full of nice things."

1965 bleach ad from here

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

On surfaces, 70% isopropyl alcohol kills pretty much everything except spores.

I can't allow myself to use bleach, have to make myself change into old, or already white clothes. No matter how careful, I always get it on myself.

Frex said...

Thank you, Zhoen!
I even thought about asking you for a tip---and I did worry about people getting even very diluted bleach on themselves --especially me as I pour from the bottle!

Frex/Fresca