Thursday, November 23, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving from Macy

Happy Thanksgiving, Blog-o-land!
I am grateful for blogging and for all of you who read and respond here--thanks!

This, below, is Macy, according to the ripped tag.*
I got this stuffed bear off eBay, one in a lot of seven stuffed animals--only $7.99 for the whole lot--cheap, for eBay (though the shipping doubled the price). 
(Most of the others I don't want--shall I get into reselling on eBay myself? Might be fun...)

BEFORE, below left
Macy just out of the eBay box, squashed and dirty, but chipper--Macy's ears have jingle bells in them that still ring.

below right: de-stuffed and ready for a bath in the kitchen sink (I have taken to wearing a dust mask while removing toys' stuffing--I'd hate to look under a microscope at the old, wadded, chewed up material and see what's living in there)


AFTER, below
Macy this morning, after a brief stint in the dryer on air-fluff, then a good vacuuming for more fluff restoration, and then... fresh new stuffing.
Ready to lead a Thanksgiving Day Parade!

I was so excited by how well he cleaned up, I took him to show my neighbor, who was home baking pumpkin pies.

"Cute," they said, "but aren't you being a little obsessional?"

"Obsession is just another name for passion," I said. 
____________________

* The tag is ripped, but looks like it would read in full "Macy's Associates". Looking online, this bear looks like the Cubbi Gund bears, made in the 1950s? --some have jingle-bells in their ears too. 

"The Gund Company of Edison, N.J., the oldest stuffed toy company in the country... has been making stuffed bears since 1898." 
--article in New York Times

5 comments:

gz said...

lovely to see a revived bear

The Crow said...

What a difference a bath and fresh innards make! Looking quite huggable this afternoon, for an aged bear.

Michael Leddy said...

Macy — as in the department store?

I have their Thanksgiving parade in my mind and am imagining this bear as a helium-filled giant.

Fresca said...

GZ& CROW: Thanks, yes, bear is revived and huggable!

MICHAEL: Well, I think it's Macy's Dept. Store--though I couldn't find this exact bear onlin, they have commissioned Gund to make holiday bears.

Bink said...

What a difference a bath makes! Always cute but now so clean!