Sunday, December 3, 2017

The Full Bear

It cracks me up how Red Hair Girl photobombed the old bear I re-faced yesterday, Melchior* (for Advent). 



I made Melchior's front paw pads from a lavender wool sweater by Eileen Fisher. My sister and I found three of these sweaters, tags attached, in our mother's apartment after she died around winter solstice fifteen years ago. Presumably our mother had bought one for herself and one each for us. 

I wore mine practically ever day for the next five winters, until the sleeves started to fray. Then I felted it but have never used it till now.  

* Melchior is the oldest of the magi, and is supposed to have a white beard, but when I asked the bear which name it liked best, he chose Melchior---I think because of the association with honey (Latin, mel). 
Melchior needs a camel, I think. And a couple magi friends...

UPDATE: Melchior went to live with bink and took the name  Squiggles

2 comments:

Bink said...

Hi Melchior! You’re darling—and even cuter in person!

Fresca said...

He is cuter---hard to photograph!