Saturday, December 2, 2017

This is the bear I was looking for.

I've been working all day, into the evening, remaking a stuffed bear's face [earlier post].

Modern stuffed animals aren't much like actual animals anyway, but this bear's original face was an atrocity of cuteness so perverse it had turned its nose upside down.
There was no way this bear could eat grubs, or anything else.

I really hated it, which gave me permission to finally change up a stuffed animal in a big way. Until now I've (mostly) liked each animal as it was and just mopped up things that needed it, and put in new stuffing. 

I reshaped this bear's nose and reattached it,
and I relocated the original eyes, with wool felt circles behind them. That left a muzzle-sized hole that I covered with a piece of Loden green felted wool that Art Sparker had sent me, stitched on with lavender floss.

This is the sort of transformation I'd envisioned bringing about but wasn't sure I could. 

I don't have good light to take photos at night, but I'm too excited to show how it turned out to wait until daylight, so here's a not-quiet-accurate photo:

Below L to R: Bear BEFORE& AFTER
The new old bear:


Update: This bear went to live with bink and took the name Squiggles.

4 comments:

ArtSparker said...

He now looks inquisitive rather than dismayed (presumably by his predicament).

Fresca said...

I agree: he has even lowered his arms, which I suppose he had up to protect himself, like a boxer.
And he is so interested to see what's out there now.

Bink said...

Oh, wow! Poor guy! So lucky he lives in the age of face transplants!

Fresca said...

BINK: He had to wait a few decades for the technology to become available... :)