Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Spaceman Revealed


This is the Soviet rubber cosmonaut toy I blogged about a while ago---designed in 1962 Czechoslovakia by Libuse Niklova. This toy [later named Kelvin the Cosmonaut (Kelvin from the movie Solaris)] and I are basically the same age.

He arrived from eBay yesterday, wearing his nonremovable scratched and clouded helmet. This morning he is seeing the clear light of day for the first time in... who knows how long?

The eBayer told me:

"We got it in Czechoslovakia either on our honeymoon in 1962 or in 1964 when we again visited relatives in Kosice, this time with our 11-month old son. I suspect the relatives gave the toy to the baby."

(I'm wearing my 1961 Vostok pin too, which arrived the day before.) 

6 comments:

deanna said...

Hooray! I'm glad he is free to breathe the atmosphere and look around. :)

Fresca said...

Hi, Deanna--I feel the same!

ArtSparker said...

You can unscratch it, according to what's online ...lots of patience required, though.

Frex said...

Hm, that'd be good---the scratches aren't so much of a problem as the fogginess-- the plastic is cloudy, through and through--I looked it up, thanks to you, and will try at least soaking it in vinegar. Thanks for the idea, Sparker!

Frex said...

Hey, soaking the helmet in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar did wonders--it's a lot clearer. Spaceman is happy---IN AN EMERGENCY he could put his helmet on and be able to see out.
Yay.

Bink said...

I want to see him with his cleaner helmet on.